09 November 2006

The Man Without A Face

One of the more interesting characters in the spy game was, as we put it in the business, 'permanently disavowed' today when he died in his sleep at his home in Berlin. Markus Wolf was known in the intelligence community since the Cold War days as the "Man Without A Face" because for a long time Western intelligence could not get a picture of him. He is one of my personal role models, not for his politics or his blind obedience to the East German Stasi (mostly assholes), but for his professionalism and his dedication to improving spycraft (and for his penchant for dressing rather sharply). Some of his innovations have become business as usual; for example, the 'Romeo Method', as they call it; he sent out young male agents to seduce lonely secretaries in foreign offices in order to gain access to secret documents. This is a practice that I still find useful, as well as just plain fun even when there are no documents involved. An interesting note; Wolf noted in his memoir that many of the spies sent to 'infiltrate' these secretaries ended up having long and successful marriages with their targets. Suckers.

Wolf even wrote a cookbook; Secrets of Russian Cooking. In it, he talks about the similarities between espionage and making food, which I wouldn't know anything about. I can make a four-course gourmet meal from the common ingredients you'd find at your local gas station (part of our training), but when it comes to cooking, I don't get near the enjoyment from making a seafood bisque as I do, for example, seducing secretaries. Plus I don't see the similarities. He also uses the opportunity to complain about how the world has viewed him very unfavorably due to his work under the corrupt and generally evil Stasi. I can think of no better place than to defend your standing in history than in a cookbook. (Interesting review of book here)

3 Comments:

Blogger Operative C said...

It really makes me mad when I hear people condemn a man based on his moral relativism. We should be celebrating creativity and flexibility, not putting people in jail for it.

Were I a 40oz drinker (anymore), I would have poured a little out for my fallen homey last night. Instead I was sipping a martini in the library, and there's no way I was going waste any Citadelle on the oriental rug in there. I think Markus would have understood.

10 November, 2006 14:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to have a copy of Secrets of Russian Cooking, but am having a hard time finding one. Any suggestions?
Cheers

10 November, 2006 19:28  
Blogger Zulu Echo said...

You're going to have to look for it in the German, as there is no translation I'm aware of. Geheimnisse der russischen kuche.

11 November, 2006 04:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home