07 October 2006

Unacceptable Idiocy at Poker

Seldom do I make a mistake at poker that makes me just want to beat myself silly afterwards. But tonight I got involved in one of the higher limit games I've been involved in in my life, and made one of the most rookie mistakes a player could make. The game is pot-limit omaha, with 10-20 blinds; a big game; when I first sit down, a guy wins a 5000 dollar pot. Anyway, to make a long story short, I bet a ragged board all the way down with just a pair of deuces and a wheel gutshot. I get 2 callers all the way; they both call for 75 on the flop, and they both call for 200 on the turn; I feel they are very weak, but I never for an instant consider my 2's could somehow be good. The flop is AJ4, an 8 on the turn, no flush draw at any point, so it's hard for me to consider them having too many draws out there. Whatever, it doesn't matter. The point is the J pairs on the river and everyone checks it down. I immediately muck my 2's, thinking there's no way they can be good. As it turns out both of the guys had very similar hands and picked up 2 straight draw wraps on the turn, and K high ends up winning it. So basically I just forfeited a 970 dollar pot for no real reason. That kind of shit hurts more than anything, because you know it's your own stupidity that cost you a very large amount of money, and not someone just getting lucky on you. I immediately left, knowing that I was in danger of going on tilt after my stupidity. I was up 300 bucks, but not in the least consoled. First time in a long while when the phrase, 'I need a drink', came very strongly into my head. And that's what I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home